We recently asked our Driver Solutions Facebook fans to help us come up with a list of the best gift ideas for truck drivers, and we were overwhelmed with responses.
While some traditional Christmas gifts are great, we put together a list of truck driver gift ideas that come straight from the truck drivers themselves. This year make sure you give a truck driver something they really want and need that will help make life on the road easier and more comfortable.
Now, we all know that gift buying is easier said than done. In today's busy world, we are overwhelmed with options - so how do you go about deciding what's best for someone working a trucking job?
Well, the good news is that shopping for a truck driver doesn’t have to be difficult. With the advice of actual truck drivers, their friends and family members, Driver Solutions has put together a long list of both essential needs and nice luxuries that the truck driver in your life may want!
Here’s our list of what we think are the 9 best gift ideas for truck drivers:
- Canned goods- A great stocking stuffer! The professional driver has to be prepared at all times for bad weather, long holdovers, and just general emergencies. Having a nice stock of canned goods will help them be prepared.
- Roadpro Skillet- A cooking tool like the Roadpro frying pan is good for cooking eggs and warming up different items. As a compact item designed to be used by travellers, its perfect for truck drivers.
- SiriusXM Satellite radio- Satellite radio subscriptions are great for truck drivers that are on the road for hours on end. They can program their favorite channels and always have something to keep them entertained.
- Laptop or iPad- Laptops, and now the iPad, are consistently one of the most wanted gifts by truck drivers. These tools provide the opportunity to log onto the internet, watch movies, listen to music, play games, and endless other things. Though laptops and the iPad can cost several hundred dollars, look for holiday deals to get a better price.
- Power inverter - Power inverters provide household-like power while on the go. Drivers can hook up their cell phone charger, camera, DVD players, or whatever they like to get constant energy. Make sure that when you are choosing a power inverter that you select one that is compatible with the a truck.
- Bluetooth- With the new U.S. Department of Transportion ruling that commercial drivers cannot use hand-help cell phones, investing in a good bluetooth device would be a great idea for a driver that likes to communicate with friends and family members.
Cobra GPS- While there are plenty of great GPS devices available, the fans on our Facebook page frequently recommend a Cobra GPS. A GPS can be a great navigational tool to help truckers get to their destination in the least amount of time possible, which we all know is important! This GPS even has truck specific routes to help with things such as overhead clearence.
Note: Garminand Rand McNally also offer great trucking GPS devices.
- Flip camera- Flip cameras are compact, easy-to-use camcorders that allow even a novice to create fun videos. With all of the different places truck drivers visit, a video camera would be a great gift to help them record their travels or send videos to loved ones.
- Warm winter jacket, coveralls, hats, gloves, and other warm winter-wear- Even if you live in a generally warm area, first year truck drivers are normally over-the-road and will travel through many bitterly cold regions. Having a warm winter jacket, a hat, comfortable driving gloves, and even coveralls will help make time on the cold road more bearable.
Other great gift ideas include a heated blanket, griddle, slow cooker, George Forman grill, mini fridge, microwave, a VHF radio, tools, a flashlight, or even something as simple as Pepto Bismol to help aid truck stop heartburn.
Still not sure what to get a truck driver? When in doubt, most people enjoy handmade gifts like a home-cooked meal or a knitted blanket. If your trucker already has everything they want or need, consider getting them a gift card, which could be used on clothes, food, or whatever they like.
The most important thing to remember is that gifts for truck drivers do not need to be pricey or expensive, but rather should be thoughtful and from the heart.